Torment by Lauren Kate

9:00 AM

Title: Torment 
Author: Lauren Kate
Release Date: September 28, 2010 (hardcover)
Publisher: Delacorte Books for Young Readers
Pages: 464
Source: ARC won from Bookurious

Overall: 3.5 Stars

Summary:
How many lives do you need to live before you find someone worth dying for?
Hell on earth.

That's what it's like for Luce to be apart from her fallen angel boyfriend, Daniel.
 
It took them an eternity to find one another, but now he has told her he must go away. Just long enough to hunt down the Outcasts-immortals who want to kill Luce. Daniel hides Luce at Shoreline, a school on the rocky California coast with unusually gifted students: Nephilim, the offspring of fallen angels and humans.

At Shoreline, Luce learns what the Shadows are, and how she can use them as windows to her previous lives. Yet the more Luce learns, the more she suspects that Daniel hasn't told her everything. He's hiding something-something dangerous.
 
What if Daniel's version of the past isn't actually true? What if Luce is really meant to be with someone else?

The second novel in the addictive FALLEN series . . . where love never dies.

My Thoughts:
After the exciting ending in Fallen, I couldn’t wait to see what happens next in Torment! However, if the ending of Fallen was taking one step forward after a slow-buildup, the beginning of Torment was like taking two steps back as once again, Luce found herself alone in a new school setting.

Let me first start off by saying if you loved Fallen, you will love Torment as well, but if you fall under the category where you simply liked Fallen, then you'll be probably be feeling the same way again. 

Where Fallen was more about the mystery of Daniel, Torment is all about Luce trying to learn more about her past lives (with a bit of help from her new roommate Shelby!) through using the Announcers (ie. Shadows) who always seem to be drawn to Luce. The danger is not over and Daniel sends Luce away to Shoreline, a special school where Nephilim also attend and which can hopefully hide Luce's presence while he and Cam eliminate any threats to her safety through their truce. This is also means that after finally coming together in Fallen, Luce and Daniel still can't quite be together yet in Torment.

I wasn’t exactly a huge fan of Daniel this time around. He was too protective at times, and it bordered on being overbearing. It really annoyed me that he wouldn’t just clue Luce in when she asked, which only left her to try to figure things out on her own, inevitably bringing her closer to danger in the process. So yes, while Luce does make some pretty silly mistakes trying to learn more, I couldn't really blame her for trying since I would hate to be left in the dark too.

It got really repetitive whenever Daniel came into the story too, and I was getting no warm, fuzzy tinglings in the romance department. I just couldn't believe the pair were supposed to be soulmates this time around and I dunno, it felt kind of forced. There was also a general pattern to when Daniel pops into the story. Embrace in each others' presence once more and then argue when Daniel would refuse to tell Luce what was really going on all the while saying he loved her. Please, it happened so many times, I was getting ready to skip these pages.... and the romance parts are usually my favourites!

Now, now, it seems like I'm only talking about the negative so let's find something positive to say, shall we? If you thought you made up your sides in Fallen, there’s a new team I’m sure that will be forming… Team Miles! Miles is a Nephilim student who makes Luce feel comfortable in her new surroundings right away, and he's so friendly and kind... plus cute too!  Sure, Daniel may be Luce’s soulmate and all, but Miles is so totally sweet and easy-going, Team Daniel fans may find themselves wavering.

Once again, I felt the pacing was slow but don't get me wrong, there are a few exciting moments thrown in here and there that kept me interested for more. But just like with Fallen, it isn’t until near the end that events start getting more climatic before leaving off on a note that leaves you dearly wishing for the next novel, Passion, due out Summer 2011. I’ll be still sticking around for more, but just like with Torment, I’m not going to set my expectations really high so it lessens any disappointment.

You Might Also Like

4 comments

  1. Good honest review...I'm disappointed though, because I wasn't a huge fan of Fallen, but I still wanted to read Torment because I hoped it might get better. Most of what you described was all the same problems I had with Fallen. I might still give Torment a shot, because it's the kind of book I want to like! I just don't know if that will happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This probably won't be encouraging but the problems I had with Fallen were often the same in Torment. I did still enjoy the novel, but at the same time, I did have problems with it like I said above. There's just something about Fallen and Torment that I can't quite fall completely in love with...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very honest and well-written review. I have both Fallen and Torment on my TBR pile but I think I might wait until summer to tackle these books.

    Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for this.
    I Live in Latvia
    So I still haven't red the second book
    First one came out only month ago, so.. yeah
    Thanx.
    I still don't really get Daniel thou.
    And what is up with her kissing Kam (or Cam, idk how to write that name in english)
    Can't wait untill it comes out!!

    ReplyDelete