Flip by Martyn Bedford

4:00 PM

Title: Flip
Author: Martyn Bedford
Release Date: April 5, 2011 (hardcover)
Publisher: Doubleday Canada
Pages: 272
Source: ARC provided by publisher

Overall: 3.5 Stars

Summary:
What does it mean to have a soul whose will to live knows no limits? This gripping psychological thriller establishes Martyn Bedford as a hot new literary talent for young adults.

Friday, December 14th. Fourteen-year-old Alex rushes home that night to beat his curfew. The next morning, he wakes up in an unfamiliar house, in a different part of the country, and it's the middle of June. Six months seem to have disappeared overnight. The family at the breakfast table? Total strangers. And when Alex looks in the mirror, another boy — called Philip, or Flip — stares back. The race against the clock is on, and unless Alex finds out what's happened and how to get back to his own life, he'll be forever trapped in someone else's body and life.
 

My Thoughts:
Flip is a unique and fresh YA novel that I had so much fun reading! Drawn to its original storyline, I was immediately hooked to a story that promised to be different... something that would leave me burning with questions as I read and hoping for the best possible outcome for the main character Alex. You don't know how much of a temptation it was for me to not flip to the end of the novel and read the ending just so I could see if the events worked out okay. It was a struggle I tell you! 

Imagine waking up to suddenly find yourself in an unfamiliar home and surrounded by strangers... and then shortly coming to a worse realization that you're not even in own body anymore. For Alex, that's exactly what happens. One night he's fourteen year-old Alex Gray and then the next time he awakens, he's suddenly Philip "Flip" Garamond, a boy the same age living in another part of England. He doesn't understand how six months have passed by nor does he understand why the face in the mirror is no longer his. The only thing he does know is that needs answers to questions that might not be so easily solved... and soon.

Under the circumstances, I think Alex did considerably well as he tried to overcome the shock and horror of finding himself in somebody else's body. He doesn't just stay in bed and wallow in despair for eternity... no, he immediately seeks out ways to try fix things back to normal. Flip's family may be kind and nice, and Flip may be popular at school with his handsome looks and all, but he would do anything to just have his old, more simple life back. It's completely understandable that he's going to have a difficult time even attempting to accept his new life as Flip when all he wants to be is his true self... Alex.

While Alex is the main star of the novel, I thought that the author did a wonderful job creating a great cast of characters overall. Through Flip's friends and girlfriends, we really got more of a sense at just who this boy is that Alex has taken over and how they're so very different... which definitely makes it easy to see why Flip's friends, teachers and family are finding themselves confused in Flip's seemingly odd recent behaviour. I really loved Flip's sister Teri so I kind of wished there were more scenes with her in them since I laughed at almost all of her lines. She loves to tease Flip in a "I'm your big sister so it's my job to make fun of you" sort of way.

Martyn Bedford's debut YA novel Flip is a great read for those looking for something in the way of a thought-provoking psychological thriller! It will surely appeal to both boys and girls in need of a novel that will have your curiosity piqued the entire time you're reading as you wish Alex will hopefully return to his body once again and that it's not already too late! But most of all, Flip will have you treasuring your own family more as you come to realize that well... there's no place like home.

Thanks so much to Random House Canada for sending me this copy! And attached below is the book trailer... enjoy!

You Might Also Like

8 comments

  1. This book definitely has an interesting concept. I'll have to check it out once it's released. Great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the trailer! I shall try to check it out when it comes out.

    nice review

    ReplyDelete
  3. The premise to this one certainly sounds unique. I haven't heard of this one and I probably would have skipped it if I had seen it, so thanks for alerting me to it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohhh interesting:) I'm not going to lie, I would absolutely be that girl that flips to the back just to see what happens, it's not a struggle for me since I don't even begin to try to convince myself to do it. I can't help it! I definitely want to know how this switch happened:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love that you said he's not whiny! We need more non -whiny characters. I'm going to have to check this one out. Looks very original.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jenny- I used to flip to the end a lot more when I was younger but I've been so much better lately! lol

    Karen- It's not that he's whiny per say, it's more like he's struggling to come to the conclusion that there's a possibility he may never have his own body again. I just liked how he tried to DO something about it, instead of only sitting around thinking about things...

    ReplyDelete
  7. I found out today that I'm on the hard cover of the book.... Took me by surprise when i received a text saying "hey i saw you on a book today, weird"

    ReplyDelete