Waiting on Wednesday (80) - Masque of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin

8:00 AM

Waiting on Wednesday is a weekly event hosted by Jill at Breaking the Spine spotlighting upcoming releases we're eagerly anticipating.

Release Date: April 24, 2012
Publisher: Greenwillow Books

Summary (from Goodreads): 
Everything is in ruins.

A devastating plague has decimated the population. And those who are left live in fear of catching it as the city crumbles to pieces around them.

So what does Araby Worth have to live for?

Nights in the Debauchery Club, beautiful dresses, glittery make-up... and tantalizing ways to forget it all.

But in the depths of the club—in the depths of her own despair—Araby will find more than oblivion. She will find Will, the terribly handsome proprietor of the club. And Elliott, the wickedly smart aristocrat. Neither boy is what he seems. Both have secrets. Everyone does.

And Araby may find something not just to live for, but to fight for—no matter what it costs her.
  
On Bethany Griffin's website, Masque of the Red Death is described as being a "post-apocalyptic reimagining of Poe's gothic horror story of the same name." I've never read the story Griffin has based her novel on, but there's something about Masque of the Red Death which strikes me as being dark and alluring, instantly catching my eye. It's the first novel in a planned trilogy and seems very different from the other YA novels to be found in this genre! I'm certainly looking forward to hearing more about this book!

You Might Also Like

9 comments

  1. Oh wow!! Waht a cover!! Sounds really good too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love that this is a retelling of Poe's story! I love Poe (though I haven't read that one yet). I can't wait for this one. It definitely catches the eye. I love this one, I had it as pick a few weeks ago. Can't wait!

    My WoW

    ReplyDelete
  3. This one sounds totally awesome I can't wait to get my hands on a copy. Not to mention the fact that the cover is really pretty as well :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. The original Poe story was one I enjoyed studying in school, so I'm really looking forward to this book. Great pick. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't the story it's based on either (shamefully I haven't read ANY of Poe's work) but wow does this sound amazing!! I love the whole vibe I get from the synopsis and the cover. And like you said, it seems very different from what's currently big in YA at the moment. Cannot. Flipping. Wait.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm looking forward to this one too! I haven't read the original Poe story either but the cover is gorgeous and I think the Poe angle in paranormal YA is still quite fresh (the other book that springs to mind is Kelly Creagh's Nevermore.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks really good but the mask of the read death is also the story that freaks me out the most out of Extraordinary Narrations... like serious fear.

    :D thanks for sharing your pick

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my goodness this looks awesome! I haven't read a book by Poe either, but this looks like a great introduction to his works! I'm definitely adding this to the tbr pile! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree.... dark and alluring is a good way to describe this book! Definitely interesting!

    ReplyDelete