The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions) by Amy Spalding

10:00 AM

Title: The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions)
Author: Amy Spalding
Release Date: April 5, 2016
Publisher: Poppy
Pages: 320
Source: ARC provided by Hachette Book Group Canada
Add to Goodreads | Amazon.ca | Indigo

Overall: 2.5 STARS

SUMMARY
Filled with romance, rivalry, and passive-aggressive dog walking, Amy Spalding delivers a hilariously relatable story about how even the best-laid plans sometimes need to be rewritten.

What's the only thing that could derail overachiever Jules's perfect senior year? Alex Powell--former member of boy-band sensation Chaos 4 All and newest transfer to Eagle Vista Academy. 

Alex seems cool enough when he starts spending time with Jules. In fact, he turns out to be quite the romantic (not to mention a killer kisser). And after getting over the initial shock that someone like Alex might actually like like her, Jules accepts that having a boyfriend could be a nice addition to her packed schedule. That is, until Alex commits the ultimate betrayal, which threatens to ruin her high school career, and possibly her entire future. 

This. Means. War. 


MY THOUGHTS
I began Amy Spalding's The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions) with the hope it would be a light romantic comedy, perfect for summertime reading, but I was left feeling so dissatisfied when I turned the final page. It wasn't laugh-out-loud funny. The romance fell flat, a far cry from making me swoon from the cuteness. And it was barely a rivalry story, which let me down most of all.

The most interesting thing about Alex Powell was that he was in a boy band two years ago that became a viral sensation overnight. The band broke up as quickly as they got together when their next few singles made no impact. And I can see why—Alex has zero personality. He's obviously cute... and attracted to Jules's overachieving personality... and oh my gosh, I can't remember anything else because he's just that forgettable.

Let's talk about Jules instead. When Jules is not putting all her focus into her grades or volunteering at the local dog shelter, she is extremely dedicated to the Crest, her school's newspaper. However, the excitement of being promoted to editor in chief is short-lived when she realizes most of the senior staff ditched her to join Talon, a brand new school club focusing on new media. It's her worst nightmare. She was completely blindsided! I felt so bad for her. And Alex joined Talon without saying anything too!

At that point, my smile might have been devious. I thought, okay, this will be fun. I was totally ready for the antics, revenge, and rivalry sure to come... and then it never really happened. I mean, I'm pretty sure I ended up feeling more outrage on Jules's behalf than her lame version of getting even. This mean war? What a joke. Jules barely participated! The other school newspaper members did all the work while she was too busy secretly making out with Alex, despite the fact he had hurt her feelings. Jules, where's your willpower? And how could you blow off your best friends for him?!

Honestly, the more I think The New Guy (and Other Senior Year Distractions), the more I feel disappointed and frustrated with the book. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments